Sea Nymph refirb

IMG_2270

So this turned out to be a bit of a saga.

Ever since I finished my daughters boat, my son was a little verbal about how her boat was quicker than his. So I promised at some point when I had some time I’d refit it to make it quicker.

Initially I built it with a 380 brushed motor, the plan being to make it slow enough for him to get used to the steering. Making it quicker wouldn’t be hard then, bung in a brushless motor!

This was until he dropped it off its bloody stand onto a concrete path leading to a nice leak. Sigh.

After finding the leak, epoxying it back together so it was watertight the hull looked a little sorry for itself so I decided to paint it, he chose blue this time, few coats of Halfords Acrylic and its looking good.

I took the lazy way out with the motor, figuring if I could find a 380 sized brushless in-runner I could mount it in the existing mount, the only one I could find which fitted was the mount was a little one from Overlander.

The new ESC, motor and gear went back in quite quickly, and a test run in the bath proved the max current at WOT was well below what the motor and ESC are rated at. One problem did manifest itself however, I have overpowered the thing so much that it practically emptied the bath and tried to make a break for orbit.  I’ve wound the throttle travel down on the TX, and will try to find a prop with less pitch to slow it down a bit!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *