In the last few weeks before I was due to go back to work we had a little family break, first we popped down to devon for 4 days, then another few in Wiltshire on the way back. The weather throughout the holiday was perfect with lots of clear sunny days. Whilst in Wiltshire I couldn’t resist having a little fly of the Dynamic-S, which I don’t think I’ve flown since 2015! It flew, as ever, brilliantly. There wasn’t enough wind to venture onto the slope, but on the flat field at the top of the White Horse hill I had a lot of fun while my daughter looked on.
After waiting to patiently while I put a few packs through the Dynamic, we couldn’t resist putting a pack through our new RC car on the way back home. The Dominus worked well on the gravel track, with the Daughter slowly getting to grips with the steering!
Ever since I finished my daughters boat, my son was a little verbal about how her boat was quicker than his. So I promised at some point when I had some time I’d refit it to make it quicker.
Initially I built it with a 380 brushed motor, the plan being to make it slow enough for him to get used to the steering. Making it quicker wouldn’t be hard then, bung in a brushless motor!
This was until he dropped it off its bloody stand onto a concrete path leading to a nice leak. Sigh.
After finding the leak, epoxying it back together so it was watertight the hull looked a little sorry for itself so I decided to paint it, he chose blue this time, few coats of Halfords Acrylic and its looking good.
I took the lazy way out with the motor, figuring if I could find a 380 sized brushless in-runner I could mount it in the existing mount, the only one I could find which fitted was the mount was a little one from Overlander.
The new ESC, motor and gear went back in quite quickly, and a test run in the bath proved the max current at WOT was well below what the motor and ESC are rated at. One problem did manifest itself however, I have overpowered the thing so much that it practically emptied the bath and tried to make a break for orbit. I’ve wound the throttle travel down on the TX, and will try to find a prop with less pitch to slow it down a bit!
We had a bit spare time recently, so we popped over to Northala Fields to have some fun with my daughters Sea Rover, it worked as faultlessly as ever. She is becoming ever more confident with the steering, although still not quite getting the hang of the steering and throttle at the same time, so dad manages the throttle while she steers.
More fun with the Desert Fox, I managed to mount my GoPro to it using a clamp like the one you see on the right. Then we took it into the local woods for a little drive around, the video shows a little of how quick it is. The lad having great fun bashing it around.
We’ve been having a lot of fun with the Desert Fox, it is so much more powerful than the brushed/NiMH powered Tamiya buggies we were used to, capably handling pretty much any terrain we throw at it.
There is a great RCGroups thread about it here, in there several people have warned that the supplied 40A ESC isn’t really up to it. Well on our fourth trip out the poor thing had smoke pouring from the ESC, I quickly removed the battery and thankfully avoided any fire.
Seeing as we were soon to go on holiday to visit grand dad I considered my options:
Go through the famous Hobby King RMA process, only to get another 40A ESC which is just as likely to blow up.
Take it on the chin and accept the cheap car was cheap and upgrade the motor/ESC.
Figuring option 2 would mean the buggy was usable for the vacation and also probably better off in the long run I took the plunge and bought a 3250KV motor and 80A ESC combo. It was pretty quick to fit, just requiring a battery connector to e added.
Happily this plugged right in and the car spent a happy week tearing up the beach in Teignmouth.
So a good while back I renovated the Sea Rover for my daughter I fancied adding lights, at the time I bought a RC switch and a couple of LEDs but never bought the little fittings for them. At Wings and Wheels last year (2015) I found some little white metal fittings which looks to be about the right size. Well this week I have finally got round to filing them into shape, glueing them up and painting them. They are now installed and working nicely from the spare third channel on the transmitter.
Below is a little video of them turning on and off, exciting!
After what feels like years, I’ve finished the Fournier! She is unflown, but all done and setup waiting for me to be well enough to take her up the field. I’ve no idea why I took so long over her, she isn’t a complex build – I’m kicking myself really!