Sand Scorcher Progress

IMG_2323 IMG_2324While having some time off work one of the unfinished, long term projects I wanted to crack on with was painting the Sand Scorcher. I had filled, sanded and primed it a while back so I gave it a few coats of white before leaving it for a week.

I pondered over masking the blue for quite some time, the curves had me worried. Initially I thought I could cut out some masks, in-fact that was the plan until quite by chance I stumbled across some Tamiya flexible masking tape while browsing in my local HobbyCraft. It turns out this is wonderful stuff, making short work of all the curves on the ‘box art’ scheme.

Now its sitting on a shelf waiting for me to polish it up with some finishing compound and then apply the decals.

Sea Rover lights

So a good while back I renovated the Sea Rover for my daughter I fancied adding lights, at the time I bought a RC switch and a couple of LEDs but never bought the little fittings for them. At Wings and Wheels last year (2015) I found some little white metal fittings which looks to be about the right size. Well this week I have finally got round to filing them into shape, glueing them up and painting them. They are now installed and working nicely from the spare third channel on the transmitter.

Below is a little video of them turning on and off, exciting!

My Yacht

IMG_2562So this model came about thanks to my desire to have something to put on the pond while the kids are playing with their boats, (The Sea Nymph and the Sea Rover). I’ve long fancied trying a sailing boat but didn’t fancy committing the time to build one, neither did I fancy buying a new all moulded one.

Over Christmas of 2014, I spotted this old Vic Smeed design on ebay, it looked nicely built, had a little motor onboard in case of emergencies and was listed as collection only in Southampton. As it happened we were spending New Year in Wiltshire that year, so I figured if I won the auction I could drive home via Southampton (it wouldn’t be much of a de-tour would it now!?) and pick it up. The bid went in, I won the auction and the sailboat was mine for £45. Happy Days.

I’ve created a page for it in the boats section here.

 

Weston Park 2016

For many years I’ve been along to Wings & Wheels at North Weald, but this year that was going to have to take a break. We had booked a short family cruise which happened to fall on the same weekend. This got me pondering what other show I could attend, after a bit of thought I decided to bop up to Weston Park for their annual show, it always looks good in the mags so I figured it was worth a visit.  In short it was great, lots of traders, lots of flying – aircraft, helis and quads all had their own flight lines – and the off road buggy track and boat pond just added to fun. I shot a few pics, which you can see below.

A(nother) Vintage Model Co. build

IMG_1555This time the lad and I were building the Hurricane. He wanted another kit for Christmas last year (2015) and jumped at the chance of having a bright red aeroplane for his collection!

After Christmas was out of the way we started on the build, aiming to have it ready for the May Fly at Shuttleworth. We made it, just! But only with a few late nights in the week before for dad to finish the covering.

I’ve got some pics of the finished model somewhere, which I’ll need to dig out and also some pics taken up at Old Warden.

Suffice to say we had a happy afternoon in the Free Flight field, the Hurricane and the Sparrowhawk both getting in plenty of flights. I need to learn a bit more about trimming, but we weren’t doing bad and left very contented.

 

Mini Tyro electric conversion

Airframe finishedSo I’ve made some progress on my electrification of the Mini Tyro. After a bit of maths and some guess work I ordered a D2822/14 1450kv outrunner and a Turnigy 18A Plush. The plan is to try a APC 8×4 and a 7×45 prop on it to see what power it draws.

I made a start by removing the Mills from its mount and cutting a hatch into the wood above the tank. Then the tank was removed and the tank bay floor cut away. The next step was to remove the old firewall because it was too far back to mount the motor on, I could have used standoffs but that would have left a rather small bay behind it for the battery. A new firewall was cut and installed about 3/4″ further forward than the old one. This gives a sensible clearance between the front of the fuselage sides and the rear of the prop but also has some room for adjusting the right/down thrust

D2822-141450(1)As it happens the battery needs to live under the wing, but the space previously occupied by the tank is a perfect home for the ESC, with the Receiver living just behind it, slightly in front of the wing.

The battery has quite a lot of room to move around under the wing so it will need some sort of restraint, some velcro is likely.  The front end needs tidying somewhat, the covering is looking tatty and I’ve yet to make a cover for the tank, now ESC bay.

Having said that, I’ve weighed it and run it up and all seems fine.

TR-P18AWeights

Complete airframe minus battery is 259g

The 3S 500mAh battery is 47g

The 3S 850 mAh battery is 67g

 Power

Using a 3s and the 7×4.5 prop it pulled 5.9A /  57W WOT. Giving roughly 79.3 W/lb which is probably about right for the little Tyro. I expect the 8×4 might give a good bit more and maybe even too much. We’ll see!

I’ve yet to test the 8×4 because it needs reaming out to fit the prop adapter.

 

I’ll post some pictures when its finished, although the temptation to fly it as it is now is quite large!