I’ve updated the page about the Beaver, it is now hung in my office where, I expect it shall remain. It was a thoroughly enjoyable build but flying free flight isn’t really my thing. I have a few other projects in mind up next, but I expect some day I’ll build another Guillows kit. The gallery of the build is here.
Just as I was logging in to WordPress to write this, I noticed that it is a month to the day since I last wrote about the Beaver. Well I’m happy to report it is now finished and awaiting a maiden flight. Weighing in at 69g is on the heavy side, but I always knew with that much paint there was no chance of a light build, hey ho! I like the way it turned out looking at least and in reality I expect it it will spend most of its life hanging up and not flying.
It was a very enjoyable build, very nicely designed and with accurate laser cutting, all the parts going together well without much fiddling. It is tempting to try another Guillows kit now, perhaps the Edge 540?
Having said that it will spend its life hanging up, I am coming around to the idea of taking the Beaver, the RedWing and the TomTit to Old Warden to give them a little airing in the free flight area, fingers crossed I’ll aim for the MayFly. To that end I’ve bought 20 yards of rubber and some lubricant, so I’m prepared!
After a bit of coding and a weekend away, I’ve got round to spending a bit of time with the Beaver. Next step is to add some colour, I didn’t take any snaps of it in its plain white state, but the shot below shows the wings masked up and the blue applied.
I have since removed the masking tape and left it to dry, tomorrow night hopefully I can get the blue onto the fuselage.
Well a little under 2 weeks after I started, I’ve finished the construction of the Beaver. Last night I spent a good while giving it a thorough sanding to ensure there were no rough edges that would stick through the tissue, now she is ready for covering.
I’ve yet to decide what scheme to paint her in, I’ll possibly use the decals provided in the kit, but there are so many Beavers in nice colour schemes that is seems a shame not to try and emulate something a bit more colourful than the blue and white of the kit. I expect it’ll take me a while to get her covered up nicely so there is a bit of time to ponder! The picture below is her pinned together before the covering starts, I’m pretty pleased with how the build has turned out, lets hope I don’t make a mess of the covering!
So I’ve started another build, this time though I’ve decided to build something smaller. I’ve got quite a few RC planes sitting around and I’m not getting much time to fly them, so that got me thinking: What could I build which would be enjoyable but wouldn’t either cost much, or take up much room.
After a bit of a ponder I hit upon the idea of a small rubber powered free flight model. A bit of research and I happened on the lovely Guillows kit of the Beaver, an aircraft I’ve always thought pretty.
The build has only just started, with just a few formers being fixed to the central fuselage crutch, I’m uploading pics as I go to the gallery here. The pic below shows the left hand formers drying.