Ever since I finished my daughters boat, my son was a little verbal about how her boat was quicker than his. So I promised at some point when I had some time I’d refit it to make it quicker.
Initially I built it with a 380 brushed motor, the plan being to make it slow enough for him to get used to the steering. Making it quicker wouldn’t be hard then, bung in a brushless motor!
This was until he dropped it off its bloody stand onto a concrete path leading to a nice leak. Sigh.
After finding the leak, epoxying it back together so it was watertight the hull looked a little sorry for itself so I decided to paint it, he chose blue this time, few coats of Halfords Acrylic and its looking good.
I took the lazy way out with the motor, figuring if I could find a 380 sized brushless in-runner I could mount it in the existing mount, the only one I could find which fitted was the mount was a little one from Overlander.
The new ESC, motor and gear went back in quite quickly, and a test run in the bath proved the max current at WOT was well below what the motor and ESC are rated at. One problem did manifest itself however, I have overpowered the thing so much that it practically emptied the bath and tried to make a break for orbit. I’ve wound the throttle travel down on the TX, and will try to find a prop with less pitch to slow it down a bit!
We had a bit spare time recently, so we popped over to Northala Fields to have some fun with my daughters Sea Rover, it worked as faultlessly as ever. She is becoming ever more confident with the steering, although still not quite getting the hang of the steering and throttle at the same time, so dad manages the throttle while she steers.
So a good while back I renovated the Sea Rover for my daughter I fancied adding lights, at the time I bought a RC switch and a couple of LEDs but never bought the little fittings for them. At Wings and Wheels last year (2015) I found some little white metal fittings which looks to be about the right size. Well this week I have finally got round to filing them into shape, glueing them up and painting them. They are now installed and working nicely from the spare third channel on the transmitter.
Below is a little video of them turning on and off, exciting!
So this model came about thanks to my desire to have something to put on the pond while the kids are playing with their boats, (The Sea Nymph and the Sea Rover). I’ve long fancied trying a sailing boat but didn’t fancy committing the time to build one, neither did I fancy buying a new all moulded one.
Over Christmas of 2014, I spotted this old Vic Smeed design on ebay, it looked nicely built, had a little motor onboard in case of emergencies and was listed as collection only in Southampton. As it happened we were spending New Year in Wiltshire that year, so I figured if I won the auction I could drive home via Southampton (it wouldn’t be much of a de-tour would it now!?) and pick it up. The bid went in, I won the auction and the sailboat was mine for £45. Happy Days.
I’ve created a page for it in the boats section here.
While we were up at Shuttleworth for the May Fly, happily flying the Hurricane and the Sparrowhawk I took the time to browse the stalls for interesting things. It wasn’t long before I happened across this Pro Boat Blackjack 29 cat. It looked awesome and immediately I found myself thinking of a reason not for it to come home with me. It contained all the running gear; prop shaft, motor mount, steering servo, rudder etc. Just lacking a motor, ESC and batteries. So after a bit of banter a deal was done for an amazing price.
I have just recently ordered a water cooled motor and ESC and plan to use the same hardcase 5000mAh LiPos I now use in the Desert Fox. The plan is to have it up and running before the end of the summer, quite where I will run it I don’t know yet, but we’ll see!
Ever since I finished the Sea Nymph for my son there have been arguments over who should get to play with it when we are down at the local lake. The obvious solution to this was to build another one! This time however I have taken a different tack, rather than buy a full kit I decided to look for an old boat I could renovate.
A chance browse of ebay last week found a possible candidate with only a tenner bid on it, it was collection only but Barnet is a pretty quick drive from here. This sounded promising… So today I won the auction for £17.55 and a new 29″ boat was mine! I dropped the seller a mail and he was happy to have me collect it today, so off I popped to Barnet to fetch it home.
It is 29 1/2 ” long with a beam of 9 1/2″ so is substantially larger than the Nymph. Initially I thought it was a Sea Queen, or perhaps a Sea Commander. But since getting it home I’ve realised it is neither of those, a quick post onto the model boat mayhem forums found the answer, it is actually a Sea Rover.
The two pics from the auction are below, I’ll post more when I start work on her but I expect that’ll be a little while because there is, as ever, a queue of projects!
We are down in Wiltshire at the moment and as ever we brought the boat I built for Edward last year. He loves to take it down to the pond in the pleasure gardens. This time I brought my 808 camera and attached it into the cabin in the boat. The little video we shot is below.