build

A boat for my Daughter

sea-roverEver since I finished the Sea Nymph for my son there have been arguments over who should get to play with it when we are down at the local lake. The obvious solution to this was to build another one! This time however I have taken a different tack, rather than buy a full kit I decided to look for an old boat I could renovate.

A chance browse of ebay last week found a possible candidate with only a tenner bid on it, it was collection only but Barnet is a pretty quick drive from here. This sounded promising… So today I won the auction for £17.55 and a new 29″ boat was mine! I dropped the seller a mail and he was happy to have me collect it today, so off I popped to Barnet to fetch it home.

It is 29 1/2 ” long with a beam of 9 1/2″ so is substantially larger than the Nymph. Initially I thought it was a Sea Queen, or perhaps a Sea Commander. But since getting it home I’ve realised it is neither of those, a quick post onto the model boat mayhem forums found the answer, it is actually a Sea Rover.

The two pics from the auction are below, I’ll post more when I start work on her but I expect that’ll be a little while because there is, as ever, a queue of projects!

Beaver – finished!

dsc_1534Just as I was logging in to WordPress to write this, I noticed that it is a month to the day since I last wrote about the Beaver. Well I’m happy to report it is now finished and awaiting a maiden flight. Weighing in at 69g is on the heavy side, but I always knew with that much paint there was no chance of a light build, hey ho! I like the way it turned out looking at least and in reality I expect it it will spend most of its life hanging up and not flying.

It was a very enjoyable build, very nicely designed and with accurate laser cutting, all the parts going together well without much fiddling. It is tempting to try another Guillows kit now, perhaps the Edge 540?

dsc_1536Having said that it will spend its life hanging up, I am coming around to the idea of taking the Beaver, the RedWing and the TomTit to Old Warden to give them a little airing in the free flight area, fingers crossed I’ll aim for the MayFly. To that end I’ve bought 20 yards of rubber and some lubricant, so I’m prepared!

A full gallery of all the pics I took during the build can be found here, and the page for the model is here.

 

Beaver – adding some colour

After a bit of coding and a weekend away, I’ve got round to spending a bit of time with the Beaver. Next step is to add some colour, I didn’t take any snaps of it in its plain white state, but the shot below shows the wings masked up and the blue applied.

I have since removed the masking tape and left it to dry, tomorrow night hopefully I can get the blue onto the fuselage.

 

 

Beaver construction finished

Well a little under 2 weeks after I started, I’ve finished the construction of the Beaver.  Last night I spent a good while giving it a thorough sanding to ensure there were no rough edges that would stick through the tissue, now she is ready for covering.

I’ve yet to decide what scheme to paint her in, I’ll possibly use the decals provided in the kit, but there are so many Beavers in nice colour schemes that is seems a shame not to try and emulate something a bit more colourful than the blue and white of the kit. I expect it’ll take me a while to get her covered up nicely so there is a bit of time to ponder! The picture below is her pinned together before the covering starts, I’m pretty pleased with how the build has turned out, lets hope I don’t make a mess of the covering!

 

 

Guillows DHC-2 Beaver

g305bSo I’ve started another build, this time though I’ve decided to build something smaller. I’ve got quite a few RC planes sitting around and I’m not getting much time to fly them, so that got me thinking: What could I build which would be enjoyable but wouldn’t either cost much, or take up much room.

After a bit of a ponder I hit upon the idea of a small rubber powered free flight model.  A bit of research and I happened on the lovely Guillows kit of the Beaver, an aircraft I’ve always thought pretty.

The build has only just started, with just a few formers being fixed to the central fuselage crutch, I’m uploading pics as I go to the gallery here. The pic below shows the left hand formers drying.

 

 

Diamond Demon build – part 9

dsc_9604Well, I’m pleased to say that after 8 months she is finished! Weighing in at 550 grams gives me a little under 100 watts per pound, so that should be plenty for a little vintage model. I took her over to the flats today for a maiden but it was a bit too windy for me to want to chance it.

I’ve sort of fallen out of love with it over the months, it was a struggle to push myself to finish it. The covering was the final annoyance, the Litespan not shrinking enough for some of the curves, and then after I added the blue trim to the front of the fuselage I ran out of balsaloc. Being too tight to buy a new tub just for a few strips on the wings and tail I ended up painting those, which moderate success!

I’m pleased I’ve finished before starting on the next one, I don’t want to end up with a few unfinished models hanging around the place, beside which, I’ve got no space for the ones that are finished as it is :)

I’ll write some more once she has flown.

Right, NEXT!

Diamond Demon build – part 8

 Spot of progress this week, I’ve all but finished the covering. Just the front most curved section below the motor and the centre section of the wings to go. I’ve some acetate on order to glaze the windows and then she is done. The tailplane and fin are now glued on, the elevator is all hooked up and the closed loop wires are run through the fuselage ready for me to connect the rudder. After that I’ll need to install the ESC and solder the connectors to the motor and she is finished.

I am still pondering about coloured trim, I think I’ll finish her first then have a go at adding some colour.