So I’m on a wikipedia page which has a OGG file. These are the steps taken to listen to the OGG.
* Next to the link is a large play button. I click it. A Java system tray icon appears along with a large tooltip saying something about Java. Nothing else happens.
* I click play again, nothing
* I open the ‘media help’ page in a new tab
* Try to switch to the tab with the standard keyboard shortcut ctrl-2. nothing
* Switch to the tab with the mouse, windows dialog ‘application has stopped responding’ Firefox crashes.
* Re-open firefox, visit the wikipedia page, navigate straight to the media help page.
* Download the ogg codec pack
* Install the codec pack
* Tell windows ‘yes i meant to double click that installer’
* Click the ogg link on the original page, offered to save file (not play it)
* Save the file to disk
* Find file (firefox put it some temp folder so had to use find to locate it)
* Double click it. ‘Do you want windows to look on the internet to find out how best to handle this file?’ yes
* Windows cannot identify the file.
* Manually run Windows Media player, drag file onto player window.
* Player is busy ‘loading library’ so nothing happens
* Wait, try again
* Nothing, no message.
* Shift Right click -> open with, manually choose Windows Media Player. file plays.
yay! 2008 and I feel computers have really come a long way.